Board Certified Specialist: Criminal Trial Law
Tough Negotiator. Fearless Litigator. Former State Prosecutor.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Michael D. Weinstein has maintained an extremely active trial and appellate practice since 1998, litigating thousands of cases in Florida’s County, Circuit, Appellate and Federal Courts. An accomplished Trial Attorney focused on Criminal Defense and select Litigation, Mr. Weinstein has tried more than one hundred trials; he has also proven to be an extremely successful Negotiator, resolving countless cases via plea bargain.
Michael D. Weinstein, Esq., B.C.S. is Board Certified in Criminal Trial Law and is thereby recognized by the Florida Bar as being an expert in the practice of Criminal Law. There are more than 88,000 lawyers in the state of Florida, however, only 374 are Board Certified Specialists (B.C.S.) in Criminal Trial Law. Mr. Weinstein is honored to have also earned an AV® Preeminent Rating – the highest rating available from Martindale-Hubbell, the leading independent attorney rating entity. An AV® Rating signifies that the lawyer has reached the heights of professional excellence; he or she has practiced law for a number of years, and is recognized for the highest levels of skill and integrity.
While working as an Assistant State Attorney for Broward County, Mr. Weinstein was promoted to Lead Prosecuting Attorney. He received many accommodations as Top Habitualizer of Career Criminals and, in 2001, was recognized for having tried the most Broward County Felony Jury Trials. A year later, Mr. Weinstein was recruited by the international law firm, Adorno and Yoss LLP, where he handled complex commercial litigation, dependency and criminal defense cases; and transitioned to launching his own firm: Michael D. Weinstein, PA.
An active member in the Florida legal community, Mr. Weinstein is often interviewed by the media, including CNN Headline News, South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Associated Press and Miami Herald, as well as the major television news stations across South Florida.
Mr. Weinstein received his Juris Doctorate from Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and also participated in Temple University’s Study Abroad Program in Tel Aviv, Israel focusing on International Law. He received a Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science from the University of Florida. He is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. In 2009, Mr. Weinstein received a prestigious appointment to the Florida Bar’s Criminal Procedure Rules Committee, the body responsible for creating the criminal procedure rules followed by Florida’s judges and attorneys.
Florida Bar- Criminal Procedure Rules Committee 2009-2012
- United States District Court Middle District of Florida – Admitted to Practice 2017-Present
- Broward Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member 2010 – Present
- Florida Bar – Criminal Procedure Rules Committee 2009 – Present
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit – Member 2008 – Present
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member 2007 – Present
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida – Admitted to Practice 2007 – Present
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida – Admitted to Practice 2007 – Present
- B’nai B’rith Justice Unit No. 5207 – Member 2007 – Present
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers – Member 2007 – Present
- Broward County Bar Association – Member 2006 – Present
- Savant UF – Member 1994 – Present
- Florida Blue Key – Member 1994 – Present
- Sigma NU – President 1991 – Present
- Senator Bill Nelson’s Service Academy Board – Board Member 2017 – 2017
- Florida Bar, Ad Hoc Committee on Rules and Procedures – Member 2008 – 2016
- Broward County Bar Association – Professionalism Committee 2007 – 2007
- AIPAC – Member 2007 – 2007
- Student Bar Association – Representative 1995 – 1998
- Interfraternity Council – Director 1993 – 1993
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers 2007-present
Board Certified Specialist – Criminal Trial Law
AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
State Attorney’s Office Felony Trial Unit – Most Trials- Broward State Attorney’s Office- 2001